Located about 16kms from Panaji, it is situated in Bardez taluka. Also known as the "Queen of Beaches" , this is one of the most famous of all beaches in Goa. It also is the most commercialized. This is part of a 30 km stretch of beach coastline along the west coast of Goa by the Arabian sea that begins at Fort Aguada continues as Sinquerim Beach, then as Candolim Beach and merges into Calangute beach and then to Baga Beach and then Anjuna Beach and then to Vagator Beach finally ending at Chapora Beach and Fort. It is one of the top ten bathing beaches in the world. The beach is very crowed during daytime with both locals and tourists who hang by the beaches until late hours of the day and night.
There are lots of shows held on the beach including rock, pop beat shows, open air dances, and fetes. It was put on the world map by the "hippies" and subsequently became famous to Indian tourists because of the tradition of hosting Beat / Music contests.
Calangute village is divided into sectors known as "waddos". They were named after the people who lived in those waddo's. Today we have Khobrawaddo, Naikwaddo, Agarwaddo, Porbawaddo, Maddawaddo, Sauntawaddo, Dongorpur, Untawaddo and Tivaiwaddo. The most famous institution in Calangute is the Church of St. Alex, built in 1741.
There is a variety of accommodations available to suit ever budget at Calangute.
Copyright © 2000 Goa Central. Com. All rights reserved.