There are a number of important monuments scattered around Mapusa, mostly forts or fortresses of an erstwhile era with an interesting history. Click on for more...
is situated on the southeastern extremity of the tableland on the right bank of
the Mandovi, in the province of Bardez, about two miles to the northeast of Fort
Aguada. It was constructed in 1551by the Portuguese to guard the entrance to Goa at the
narrowest part of the Mandovi river,
enlarged subsequently on different occasions, and finally re-erected in 1707.
far inferior in size to the fortress of Marmugao, yet standing on an eminence,
its commands, splendid view around. It
is in a good state of preservation, and is defended by 33 guns and accommodation
for a small garrison. Towards the
east, at a little distance from it, flows a spring with abundance of excellent
water, while at its base rises the church of the Reis Magos, ascended by a
beautiful flight of stairs.
This edifice was built on the ruins of a pagoda in 1550 by the Franciscans, with the sum allotted to them by the Government, and bears a crown on its façade, and the royal arms on its sanctuary and other places. The pavement is dotted with inscriptions, the most important of which, found in the sanctuary, indicated the spot enclosing the remains of Dom Luis de Ataíde, count of Athoughia, who twice held the position of Viceroy of Portuguese India and Goa.This Fort stands on the north bank of the Mandovi at Reis Magos, and is very much visible from the Panaji side of the Mandovi river. It was used as a residence for viceroys and later converted to a fortress. It was occupied briefly between 1798-1813 by the British army. It was subsequently abandoned by the military and served as a prison until recently.
on the northern frontier of Bardez, on the left bank of the Bardez River, this
fortress was erected in 1681 by the court of Alvor as a barrier against the
inroads of the Marathas and Bhonsles. It was taken by the Marathas in 1739, and
later recaptured by the Marquis of Lourical on the 13th of June 1741, and had a
small garrison, besides a regiment, posted about the same time in a convenient
The regiment was removed to Mapusa in 1841, while the Fortress, which had
been abandoned and neglected a few years previously, went to ruin, and now
presents only a few traces of its former might.
Copyright © 2000 Goa Central. Com. All rights reserved.