Shree Damodar Temple, Zambaulim
This beautiful temple is situated at Zambaulim, about 22kms from Margao, on
the banks of the Kushawati river. The deity was originally based in a temple at
the exact spot where the Church of Holy Spirit stands in Margao today. It was
moved in 1565 to escape the Portuguese Inquisition when the original temple was
destroyed and The Church of Holy Spirit built on its site. It is revered by both
Christians and Hindus alike. The Kushawati river is supposed to have great
healing powers and many a devotee takes a bath here to cure themselves of bodily
ills. The main festival celebrated is Shigmo, the Goan Hindu festival of color.
Shree Chandranath Temple, Paroda
This temple is situated at Paroda, on top of a 359m high hill in Quepem
taluka. The deity is Lord Chandranath or Lord of the Moon; an incarnation of
Lord Shiva. This was the deity of the Bhojas, a dynasty that ruled early Goa.The
temple is so designed that the main deity, the Lingam receives moonlight on every
full moon. It is also said that whenever moonlight shines on the Lingam, it oozes
water. The present building dates back from the 17th century, but reportedly
there has been a temple there for over 1500 yrs. From the base the temple is
approached by a steep flight of steps. Another attraction is the ancient chariot
with its exquisite wooden carvings.
Shree Navdurga Sanusthan, Borim
This temple is situated at Borim, 12km from Margao. The deity is Goddess
Navdurga, an incarnation of Goddess Parvati, consort of Lord Shiva. The deity was brought by a group of
Brahmins from Karad in Maharastra to Benaulim, in
Salcette taluka and subsequently moved to its present site at Borim.
Shree Shantadurga Temple, Fatorpa
This temple is situated at Fatorpa, 18kms from Margao. The deity is dedicated
to Goddess Shantadurga, an incarnation of Goddess Parvati, consort of Lord
Shiva. The deity originally came from Cuncolim in Salcette taluka and was moved
to Fatorpa in the 16th century to escape the wanton destruction of Hindu temples
during that time by the Portuguese.