Goa's No. 1 tourist information portal
 
Home  About Us Disclaimer Feedback Email Sitemap
 
About Goa
History
Geography
Culture
Sightseeing
Beaches
Temples
Churches
Monuments
FAQ for tourists
Travel
Air
Rail
Road
Boat
Banks
Museums
Maps
Dining
Cuisine
Restaurants
Internet Cafes
Panaji
Margao
Mapusa
Vasco da Gama
Old Goa
Flora & Fauna
Police & Law
Goa Phone Directory
Hinduism
Media

GoaCentral > Sightseeing > Temples of Goa > Temples around Ponda

 
Temples around Ponda

Shree Mhalasa Narayani Temple, Mardol

This temple is situated at Mardol about 1 km from Shree Mangueshi Temple. The temple deity is "Mhalasa Narayani" an  incarnation of Lord Vishnu, portrayed in a female form. The temple was constructed in early 16th century. The deity was originally from Verna and was moved to Mardol to avoid the Portuguese destruction during the early days of the Inquisition. In the front of the temple lies a unique lamp tower and during the annual Zatra in  February and on special festival days like the Navratri, a special 12.5 m brass lamp is lit. It is thought to be the largest lamp of its kind in Goa and India. The pillars outside the temple are also exquisitely carved.

 

MhalasaTemple1.jpg (73146 bytes) MhalasaTemple3.jpg (77810 bytes) MhalasaTemple4.jpg (78644 bytes) MhalasaTemple5.jpg (74210 bytes)
Shree Mhalasa Narayani Temple-entrance Shree Mhalasa Narayani Temple-entrance Shree Mhalasa Narayani Temple-Lamp tower Shree Mhalasa Narayani Temple-Lamp tower
Shree Mhalasa Narayani Temple-Lamp tower

Shree Mangueshi Temple, Mangueshi-Priol

This temple is situated at Priol, on a hillock surrounded by green hills. It is dedicated to Lord Mangueshi an  incarnation of Lord Shiva. The deity is originally from Cortalim and was moved to Priol to avoid the Portuguese destruction in the early days of its rule. It has undergone many renovations and today its style is uniquely Goan. The oldest part of the temple complex is the water tank in front of the temple. At the entrance to the temple is a majestic lamp tower, one of the special architectural features of many Goan temples. There are about 12 " Agrashalas" or residences for pilgrims around the temple.
MangueshiTemple1.jpg (80470 bytes) MangueshiTemple4.jpg (80892 bytes) MangueshiTemple5.jpg (79896 bytes)
Shree Mangueshi Temple-Water Tank Shree Mangueshi Temple-Water Tank Shree Mangueshi Temple-Main Temple
MangueshiTemple8.jpg (65148 bytes) MangueshiTemple7.jpg (77510 bytes)
Shree Mangueshi Temple-Plaque at entrance Shree Mangueshi Temple-The famous Lamp Tower

Shree Laxminarsimha Temple, Nagueshi

This is one of the most beautiful temples in the area, and is situated at approximately 1 km from Mardol near Nagueshi. It is dedicated to Lord Laxmi  Narsimha , an   incarnation  of Lord Vishnu and his consort Laxmi. The deity here was also originally from a part of the "Old Conquests" and also moved to escape Portuguese destruction in its early days.

Shree Mahalaxmi Temple, Bandode

This is situated near the Shree Nagueshi Temple at Bandode, about 4kms east of Ponda. It is dedicated to "Mahalaxmi", Lord Vishnu's consort. The special feature of this deity is that she wears a "Lingam"; a symbol of Lord Shiva, on her head. Legend has it that she was a   favorite   deity of the Kadambas and the Shilaharas, an ancient dynasty that ruled Goa. The temple was moved from Colva, in Salcette  taluka around the Inquisition to save it from destruction by the Portuguese. The "Sabhamantap" or the main hall of the temple contains a gallery of 18 wooden images of Lord Vishnu, one of the rarest collections of its kind in the country.

Shree Nagueshi Temple, Bandode

This temple is situated at Bandode, 4km east of Ponda. It is dedicated to Lord Naguesh, an  incarnation of Lord Shiva. In front of the temple is an inscription in Marathi dated the " Paushal  Bahul 30 of the Hindu year 1335 of Shalivahana " that roughly corresponds to the year 1413.The temple faces west. According to local legend it was renovated by King Shahu, grandson of Shivaji the Great. The " Sabha Mantap " or the main hall has a gallery on either side with images carved in wood depicting scenes from the epic "Ramayana". In the inner shrine is a "Lingam" a symbol of Lord Shiva. In front of the shrine is an image of "Nandi" the bull, carved in black stone.

 

NagueshiTemple7.jpg (76710 bytes) NagueshiTemple1.jpg (73040 bytes) NagueshiTemple3.jpg (65990 bytes) NagueshiTemple6.jpg (83684 bytes)
Shree Nagueshi Temple- front entrance Shree Nagueshi Temple-rear view Shree Nagueshi Temple-side view Shree Nagueshi Temple-Water tank
NagueshiTemple2.jpg (73132 bytes) NagueshiTemple5.jpg (76560 bytes) NagueshiTemple9.jpg (64188 bytes)
Shree Nagueshi Temple- Lamp tower Shree Nagueshi Temple- Lamp tower Shree Nagueshi Temple- Lamp tower-close up

Shree Ramnathi Temple, Bandode

This temple is situated at Bandode near Ponda and is dedicated to Lord Ramnath, an incarnation of Lord Shiva. After entering the main door of the temple, one enters the "Sabha Mantap" or the hall of worship. This structure was renovated in 1951. The main inner shrine has an idol of Shree Ramnathi has four smaller shrines of Shree Laxminarayan, Shree Shantadurga, Shree Betal, and Shree Sidhnath. The five together constitute the Shree Ramnath Panchayatan. The Lingam in the temple originally came from the village of Lotulim in Salcette  taluka, and was moved to the present site in 1566 to escape the Portuguese wrath as during that period this area was a part of the Bijapur Kingdom. It was renovated again in 1905. The main festival centered around this temple is the "Maha Shivratri".

 

RamnathiTemple1.jpg (75302 bytes) RamnathiTemple2.jpg (62654 bytes) RamnathiTemple3.jpg (76326 bytes) RamnathiTemple4.jpg (62542 bytes)

Shree Ramnathi Temple-Entrance gate

Shree Ramnathi Temple and Lamp Tower

Shree Ramnathi Temple-Entrance 

Shree Ramnathi Temple and Lamp Tower

RamnathiTemple6.jpg (75860 bytes)

Shree Ramnathi Temple-  Lamp Tower

Shree Shantadurga Temple, Kavlem

This famous shrine is situated at Kavlem and is dedicated to the goddess Shantadurga, an incarnation of Goddess Parvati, consort of Lord Shiva. the temple was built in 1738 by Naro Ram Mantri one of the ministers of King Shahu of Satara, grandson of Shivaji the Great. The deity was shifted here from Kelsi,  to escape the Portuguese  during the early days. The main shrine contains an image of Goddess Shantadurga flanked on either side by Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva.
ShantadurgaTemple1.jpg (71436 bytes) ShantadurgaTemple3.jpg (82014 bytes) ShantadurgaTemple5.jpg (76882 bytes) ShantadurgaTemple8.jpg (79390 bytes)

Shree Shantadurga Temple-entrance gate

Shree Shantadurga Temple

Shree Shantadurga Temple

Shree Shantadurga Temple

ShantadurgaTemple7.jpg (79086 bytes) ShantadurgaTemple9.jpg (77326 bytes) ShantadurgaTemple10.jpg (72782 bytes) ShantadurgaTemple6.jpg (64468 bytes)

Shree Shantadurga Temple & Lamp Tower

Shree Shantadurga Temple-Tulsi Plant

Shree Shantadurga Temple-Tulsi Plant

Shree Shantadurga Temple-Lamp Tower

Shree Kamakshi Temple , Shiroda

This temple was originally located at Raia in Salcette and was moved to its present location in 1564-1568. The temple is located at Shiroda. It is dedicated to Goddess Kamakshi, an incarnation of Goddess Parvati, consort of Shiva. By the side of the main temple are shrines dedicated to Shree Shantadurga, Shree Laxmi Narayana and Shree Rayeshwar. There are Agrashalas surrounding the main temple that provide lodging and boarding for pilgrims. The main festivals celebrated here are Dusshera.

 

Shree Sanusthan Goudpadacharya, Kavle Math, Kavlem

This "Math" is a heritage of the Gaud Saraswat community, and is named after its sect founder. The Math was shifted from Cortalim in 1630 to escape the Inquisition and re-established by Shreemad  Satchidanand  Saraswati Swamiji.

Shree Gopal Ganapathi, Farmagudi

This is the most modern temple in the area, situated at Farmagudi, near the village of Bandivade, at Ponda. It's idol, the stone image of Lord Ganapathi, son of Lord Shiva, was discovered by cowherds and later on a small temple was built to house the deity. The first building of this temple commemorates the celebration of the Portuguese retreat following the sudden appearance of the Marathas under King Sambhaji. The present Temple was constructed by The Late Dayanand Bandodkar,  Goa's first chief minister and the new metallic alloy idol of "Gopal Ganapathi" was consecrated on April 24 1966.

 

GopalGanapati1.jpg (85262 bytes) GopalGanapati2.jpg (71376 bytes)
Shree Gopal Ganapathi Temple Shree Gopal Ganapathi Temple

 

Back to Top

Search for:

About Goa. History. Geography. Maps. Travel. Road. Air. Rail. BoatCulture. Sightseeing. Beaches. Churches. Temples. Monuments. Museums. Caves. Flora & FaunaDining. Cuisine. Restaurants. FAQ for tourists. Customs formalities. Banks. Currency Exchange. Police & Law. Emergency Phone nos. Internet Cafes. Foreign Missions. Panaji. Margao. Mapusa. Vasco da Gama. Ponda. Old Goa. Arambol. Bambolim. Miramar. Dona Paula. Calangute. Candolim. Baga. Vagator. Anjuna. Colva. Benaulim. Majorda. Palolem. Dudhsagar. Mayem Lake
Home  About Us Disclaimer Feedback Email Sitemap
 
Copyright 2000 Goa Central. Com. All rights reserved.
Revised: April 29, 2001 .